Home SK - Stocks, Property, Investment Chamas - Investment Groups BIZ - Small Business Soko - Market Wazua Life About Wazua
SIGN IN REGISTER
Monday, Jun 17, 2019
Investor
We’re investing funds for profit. Join us and wazua!
LATEST DISCUSSIONS
Sameer smeared? [26]
Sameer Africa HY18 [6]
KenyaRe FY19 - FY23 (Both Inclusive) [201]
Kenya Airways...why ignore.. [12913]
Centum HY 2018/2019 [67]
STOCKS TO BUY by yaserbigchair [149]
Atlas Development and Support Services listing in ... [98]
Buying stocks in tandem with the dividends calenda... [6]
KCB and NBK material announcement [95]
1/4 Acre for Sale - Nkoroi [8]
Elliott Wave Analysis Of The NSE 20 [3136]
Eye on I&,M ... [108]
Low End Housing: High Risk, High Return [329]
Bitcoin: Does it have a future ? [1091]
Equity Bank FY 2018 net profit up 5% [45]
 
Forum Jump








Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages«<456
Why investing in the NSE is fool's gold and a waste
Bishofu
#101 Posted : Saturday, January 05, 2019 10:03:34 AM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 7/16/2018
Posts: 15
kenyan2019 wrote:
hardwood wrote:
kenyan2019 wrote:
Easier said than done----->According to a survey released Monday this week by the Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS), approximately 400,000 micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) did not get to celebrate their second anniversary in the last five years raising concern over sustainability of this critical sector.

https://www.standardmedi...smes-are-dying-annually


So how many businesses have survived? Statistics need to be complete to make sense. Thus they also need to tell us how many businesses were started and how many are surviving. May be over 1 million were started and only 400k collapsed. We need more info.

.

Did you open the Link? ----->“A total of 2.2 million MSMEs were closed in the last five years, 2016 inclusive,” read the report in part which found that a significant 46 per cent of the MSMEs surveyed died in their first year of establishment.


Is there any single one that survived? That's the question...! If there is then somebody did the right things and succeeded.
ombaalbt
#102 Posted : Saturday, January 05, 2019 11:15:50 AM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 5/19/2014
Posts: 68
Location: Migori
Bishofu wrote:
kenyan2019 wrote:
hardwood wrote:
kenyan2019 wrote:
Easier said than done----->According to a survey released Monday this week by the Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS), approximately 400,000 micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) did not get to celebrate their second anniversary in the last five years raising concern over sustainability of this critical sector.

https://www.standardmedi...smes-are-dying-annually


So how many businesses have survived? Statistics need to be complete to make sense. Thus they also need to tell us how many businesses were started and how many are surviving. May be over 1 million were started and only 400k collapsed. We need more info.

.

Did you open the Link? ----->“A total of 2.2 million MSMEs were closed in the last five years, 2016 inclusive,” read the report in part which found that a significant 46 per cent of the MSMEs surveyed died in their first year of establishment.


Is there any single one that survived? That's the question...! If there is then somebody did the right things and succeeded.


Which is the point of the discussion. That starting a business is not everyone's cup of tea. And some individuals are better off finding other investment opportunities.
Learning to sit on my hands
kenyan2019
#103 Posted : Saturday, January 05, 2019 1:13:54 PM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 12/30/2018
Posts: 27
Bishofu wrote:
kenyan2019 wrote:
hardwood wrote:
kenyan2019 wrote:
Easier said than done----->According to a survey released Monday this week by the Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS), approximately 400,000 micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) did not get to celebrate their second anniversary in the last five years raising concern over sustainability of this critical sector.

https://www.standardmedi...smes-are-dying-annually


So how many businesses have survived? Statistics need to be complete to make sense. Thus they also need to tell us how many businesses were started and how many are surviving. May be over 1 million were started and only 400k collapsed. We need more info.

.

Did you open the Link? ----->“A total of 2.2 million MSMEs were closed in the last five years, 2016 inclusive,” read the report in part which found that a significant 46 per cent of the MSMEs surveyed died in their first year of establishment.


Is there any single one that survived? That's the question...! If there is then somebody did the right things and succeeded.



I posted the link in response to the arguments of bales and ladies clothes. I am from a family who has been in various businesses since 1950s and its not what people are trying to portray. Various aspects matter, for example, if your dad bought a 50 acre land, then you investing in it would be easier now, but you would rarely see a person buying from his own pocket and making it at the same time. The same for other SMEs, especially rent etc. I hope you get my point.
jmbada
#104 Posted : Saturday, January 05, 2019 10:28:28 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 1/1/2011
Posts: 366
[quote=kenyan2019]Easier said than done----->According to a survey released Monday this week by the Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS), approximately 400,000 micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) did not get to celebrate their second anniversary in the last five years raising concern over sustainability of this critical sector.

https://www.standardmedi...smes-are-dying-annually[/quote]
That sounds VEEEERRRRRYYY suspect. Business journalists in Kenya are notoriously lazy in analyzing reports. Will need to directly look at the actual survey and conclusions therefrom.
Ericsson
#105 Posted : Sunday, January 06, 2019 7:48:21 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 6,690
Location: NAIROBI
jmbada wrote:
[quote=kenyan2019]Easier said than done----->According to a survey released Monday this week by the Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS), approximately 400,000 micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) did not get to celebrate their second anniversary in the last five years raising concern over sustainability of this critical sector.

https://www.standardmedi...smes-are-dying-annually[/quote]
That sounds VEEEERRRRRYYY suspect. Business journalists in Kenya are notoriously lazy in analyzing reports. Will need to directly look at the actual survey and conclusions therefrom.


Journalism in kenya died,local media nwdays aren't interested in conveying the reality on the ground.
jmbada
#106 Posted : Tuesday, January 08, 2019 10:28:32 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 1/1/2011
Posts: 366
Ericsson wrote:
jmbada wrote:
[quote=kenyan2019]Easier said than done----->According to a survey released Monday this week by the Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS), approximately 400,000 micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) did not get to celebrate their second anniversary in the last five years raising concern over sustainability of this critical sector.

https://www.standardmedi...smes-are-dying-annually[/quote]
That sounds VEEEERRRRRYYY suspect. Business journalists in Kenya are notoriously lazy in analyzing reports. Will need to directly look at the actual survey and conclusions therefrom.


Journalism in kenya died,local media nwdays aren't interested in conveying the reality on the ground.

Yes. But this is literallybrwading and transcribing from a report. Should be quite straightforward.
wukan
#107 Posted : Wednesday, January 09, 2019 10:40:06 AM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 11/13/2015
Posts: 1,105
Quote:
A system outage left Nairobi Securities Exchange (NSE) investors counting heavy losses as trading was halted for about half of the day on Monday.

The trading halt, attributed to a ‘technical hitch’ at the NSE, made it impossible to buy or sell shares.
It is the latest in a streak of costly glitches at the NSE in recent years.

“The NSE wishes to notify market participants, investors, key stakeholders and the general public that trading at the NSE has been temporarily halted due to a technical hitch which occurred on January 8, 2019 at 11.52 a.m.,” said the NSE in a statement.
https://www.businessdail...7088-q920bhz/index.html


Did anyone even notice soko mjinga was offline?
Ericsson
#108 Posted : Wednesday, January 09, 2019 11:02:56 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 6,690
Location: NAIROBI
wukan wrote:
Quote:
A system outage left Nairobi Securities Exchange (NSE) investors counting heavy losses as trading was halted for about half of the day on Monday.

The trading halt, attributed to a ‘technical hitch’ at the NSE, made it impossible to buy or sell shares.
It is the latest in a streak of costly glitches at the NSE in recent years.

“The NSE wishes to notify market participants, investors, key stakeholders and the general public that trading at the NSE has been temporarily halted due to a technical hitch which occurred on January 8, 2019 at 11.52 a.m.,” said the NSE in a statement.
https://www.businessdail...7088-q920bhz/index.html


Did anyone even notice soko mjinga was offline?


Guys gave up due to the bear run.
Horton
#109 Posted : Wednesday, January 09, 2019 11:56:54 AM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 8/30/2007
Posts: 1,405
Location: Nairobi
wukan wrote:
Quote:
A system outage left Nairobi Securities Exchange (NSE) investors counting heavy losses as trading was halted for about half of the day on Monday.

The trading halt, attributed to a ‘technical hitch’ at the NSE, made it impossible to buy or sell shares.
It is the latest in a streak of costly glitches at the NSE in recent years.

“The NSE wishes to notify market participants, investors, key stakeholders and the general public that trading at the NSE has been temporarily halted due to a technical hitch which occurred on January 8, 2019 at 11.52 a.m.,” said the NSE in a statement.
https://www.businessdail...7088-q920bhz/index.html


Did anyone even notice soko mjinga was offline?



Lol nope Laughing out loudly
sparkly
#110 Posted : Wednesday, January 09, 2019 4:00:41 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 9/23/2009
Posts: 6,927
Location: Enk are Nyirobi
Horton wrote:
wukan wrote:
Quote:
A system outage left Nairobi Securities Exchange (NSE) investors counting heavy losses as trading was halted for about half of the day on Monday.

The trading halt, attributed to a ‘technical hitch’ at the NSE, made it impossible to buy or sell shares.
It is the latest in a streak of costly glitches at the NSE in recent years.

“The NSE wishes to notify market participants, investors, key stakeholders and the general public that trading at the NSE has been temporarily halted due to a technical hitch which occurred on January 8, 2019 at 11.52 a.m.,” said the NSE in a statement.
https://www.businessdail...7088-q920bhz/index.html


Did anyone even notice soko mjinga was offline?



Lol nope Laughing out loudly



How did a few hours blackout lead to "heavy losses"
Life is short. Live passionately.
whiteowl
#111 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 12:54:51 AM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 4/16/2014
Posts: 1,308
Location: Bohemian Grove
sparkly wrote:
Horton wrote:
wukan wrote:
Quote:
A system outage left Nairobi Securities Exchange (NSE) investors counting heavy losses as trading was halted for about half of the day on Monday.

The trading halt, attributed to a ‘technical hitch’ at the NSE, made it impossible to buy or sell shares.
It is the latest in a streak of costly glitches at the NSE in recent years.

“The NSE wishes to notify market participants, investors, key stakeholders and the general public that trading at the NSE has been temporarily halted due to a technical hitch which occurred on January 8, 2019 at 11.52 a.m.,” said the NSE in a statement.
https://www.businessdail...7088-q920bhz/index.html


Did anyone even notice soko mjinga was offline?



Lol nope Laughing out loudly



How did a few hours blackout lead to "heavy losses"


Good question.This story doesnt make sense.Also worth noting is that most "system outages" occur during the bear.
jmbada
#112 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 12:11:43 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 1/1/2011
Posts: 366
whiteowl wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Horton wrote:
wukan wrote:
Quote:
A system outage left Nairobi Securities Exchange (NSE) investors counting heavy losses as trading was halted for about half of the day on Monday.

The trading halt, attributed to a ‘technical hitch’ at the NSE, made it impossible to buy or sell shares.
It is the latest in a streak of costly glitches at the NSE in recent years.

“The NSE wishes to notify market participants, investors, key stakeholders and the general public that trading at the NSE has been temporarily halted due to a technical hitch which occurred on January 8, 2019 at 11.52 a.m.,” said the NSE in a statement.
https://www.businessdail...7088-q920bhz/index.html


Did anyone even notice soko mjinga was offline?



Lol nope Laughing out loudly



How did a few hours blackout lead to "heavy losses"


Good question.This story doesnt make sense.Also worth noting is that most "system outages" occur during the bear.

Firstly, all respectable exchanges, including the NSE, have triggers for suspending trading during a market free-fall. This was not the case here. I think it much more likely that delayed trading driven by changes in dividend taxes drove 2019 trade volumes that overwhelmed the ATS.
MugundaMan
#113 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 12:46:24 PM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 1/8/2018
Posts: 1,700
Location: DC (Dustbowl County)
ICDC has made a staggering recovery in the past week and a half. Iko kitu.
"The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." - Psalm 14:1
Dustbowl County is the Future of Kenya.
**1700 posts = Adios (for real this time!)**
Swenani
#114 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 1:11:25 PM
Rank: User


Joined: 8/15/2013
Posts: 12,998
Location: Vacuum
MugundaMan wrote:
ICDC has made a staggering recovery in the past week and a half. Iko kitu.

Kumbe you're a stalker to the casino?
Poverty is the root of all evil
Angelica _ann
#115 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 1:43:57 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/7/2012
Posts: 10,416
Swenani wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
ICDC has made a staggering recovery in the past week and a half. Iko kitu.

Kumbe you're a stalker to the casino?


He has always said that he has 1% of his investment portfolio in the NSE casino.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
MugundaMan
#116 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 4:14:58 PM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 1/8/2018
Posts: 1,700
Location: DC (Dustbowl County)
Angelica _ann wrote:
Swenani wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
ICDC has made a staggering recovery in the past week and a half. Iko kitu.

Kumbe you're a stalker to the casino?


He has always said that he has 1% of his investment portfolio in the NSE casino.



I also said I will jump back in when ICDC hits 5 bob and Safcom 10 bob. Casino is very interesting. Reminds me of that ka alleyway on Kimathi st where I usually pass and see gambling addicts playing slots with dazed glazed over looks in their eyes. If gava is not careful crime will skyrocket due to gambling debts. Gambling addiction is worse than crack cocaine - thats why Mumias is still heavily traded!
"The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." - Psalm 14:1
Dustbowl County is the Future of Kenya.
**1700 posts = Adios (for real this time!)**
MaichBlack
#117 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 8:30:35 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 7/22/2009
Posts: 7,246
I will not comment!!! Just visit the link
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
Beler
#118 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 4:46:23 PM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 1/15/2019
Posts: 25
I also prefer for stock that always give us good high dividend yields too. Thank you for sharing this. I am thinking about new strategy and will do homework on this this weekend.
Users browsing this topic
Guest
6 Pages«<456
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Home | . .. Investor | .. . Groups | .. . SME | . . . Market | .. . Club SK | . ..... About Wazua | . .. Search | . ..Sitemap | . ..Support | . ..Disclaimer | . ..Privacy Policy | . ..Terms of Use | . .. Contact Us
Copyright © 2019 Wazua.co.ke. All Rights Reserved.