Home SK - Stocks, Property, Investment Chamas - Investment Groups BIZ - Small Business Soko - Market Wazua Life About Wazua
SIGN IN REGISTER
Monday, Aug 19, 2019
Investor
We’re investing funds for profit. Join us and wazua!
FEATURE  

LATEST DISCUSSIONS
Equity Bank FY 2018 net profit up 5% [54]
Banda Homes et al [87]
Kenya Airways...why ignore.. [13475]
Safaricom 2019/2020 [29]
Kenya Economy Watch [2159]
Madness at the NSE [1770]
M-Akiba treasury bonds via mobile [373]
CIC Insurance 2019 [13]
Centum 2019/2020 [3]
Potential merger NIC + CBA [146]
KCB 2018 and Beyond [345]
KenyaRe FY19 - FY23 (Both Inclusive) [377]
Eye on I&,M ... [118]
Exchange Bar: Results forecast [2017]
Edermann property [114]

Forum Jump

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages«<456
SGR officially dead. What next?
iris
#101 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 10:03:47 AM

obiero wrote:
Siringi wrote:

Simple question really who are these mysterious local partners and how were they sourced and for what consideration

we were shafted on the Safaricom IPO by Mobitelea this is another Mobitelea in the offing

Sensationalism

The question then is why have they been secretive?
VituVingiSana
#102 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 10:18:52 AM

Conquestador wrote:
Is increasing the frequency of passenger train a better option? Have a train each direction every 2hrs. Make ticketing simple and straight forward.

Obtain faster engines to do Nrb-MSA in 3 hours
Can the line even handle trains running at 160 Km/h? In China, they have true high-speed trains going at 300+ km/h.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
VituVingiSana
#103 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 10:20:26 AM

Gathige wrote:
Siringi wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

True there Obiero
Before The president launched it,the Chinese were not for the low fares GoK announced.
The economy class wasn't supposed to be there,the cheapest fare and class was the current first class which was to be economy class then business and first class just like we have for air travel.

KES 1,000 for the comfort on offer is bad business costing.. They should aim to reprice it at KES 2,000

Passenger Service was not and is not the core business of SGR. Cargo Is. But even Cargo the arithmetic is not making sense. The pricing vis-à-vis trucking is like heaven and earth .
The feasibility study must have been bullcrap

SGR like many public enterprises will never return a profit or ven pay back in our life' time. I doubt even the Chinese expect us to repay the loans comfortably but they keeep pumping funds as part of their global belts projects.

Our SGR is just like our our KQ, a source of national pride but a disgraced enterprise which turn losses years round.
"Source of National Pride"? Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Neither.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Milefeyk
#104 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2019 4:07:54 PM

I have always been quite sceptical about this sort of development in state. These situations could be seen in past on several occasions. First government says that they dont have money to finish project, and then some mysterious saviour shows up and bring money !? I mean, what’s going on?
obiero
#105 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:14:58 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Conquestador wrote:
Is increasing the frequency of passenger train a better option? Have a train each direction every 2hrs. Make ticketing simple and straight forward.

Can the line even handle trains running at 160 Km/h? In China, they have true high-speed trains going at 300+ km/h.

That thing moves at 120kph which isn't world's apart from 160kph
COOP 5,500; KCB 3,700; KQ 221,100
maka
#106 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2019 4:42:06 PM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Conquestador wrote:

Worlds apart my friend...
possunt quia posse videntur
hardwood
#107 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2019 8:57:40 PM

maka wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Conquestador wrote:

I always feel uncomfortable when I drive at 120kph and thus I stick to 100kph max. If anyone wants higher speeds they can take obiero's KQ to mombasa.
Ecclesiastes 9:7 So go ahead. Eat your food with joy, and drink your wine with a happy heart, for God approves of this.
VituVingiSana
#108 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2019 10:54:06 PM

hardwood wrote:
maka wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Conquestador wrote:

I always feel uncomfortable when I drive at 120kph and thus I stick to 100kph max. If anyone wants higher speeds they can take obiero's KQ to mombasa.
We were discussing train(not car/vehicle) speeds.

160km/h is 33% faster than 120 km/h
Nairobi to Mombasa in 2.5 hours vs 3.33 hours. That's a huge difference when one considers the train daily frequencies can be increased using the same equipment.

It has an even greater impact for Mombasa-Kisumu trips.
freiks
#109 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 10:16:21 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
hardwood wrote:
maka wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Conquestador wrote:

Nairobi to Mombasa in 2.5 hours vs 3.33 hours. That's a huge difference when one considers the train daily frequencies can be increased using the same equipment.

But the SGR management is crazy, the NRB -MSA express train was full since yesterday for today )friday) why not increase wagons on friday to cater for extra passengers?
Life is an endless adventure
Swenani
#110 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 2:34:30 PM

freiks wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
hardwood wrote:
maka wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Conquestador wrote:

But the SGR management is crazy, the NRB -MSA express train was full since yesterday for today )friday) why not increase wagons on friday to cater for extra passengers?

Why should they increase the trains or wagons for your one weekend convenience?
Poverty is the root of all evil
Ericsson
#111 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 5:18:49 PM

Impunity
#112 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 9:01:17 PM

freiks wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
hardwood wrote:
maka wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Conquestador wrote:

There is a maximum length of train the single track can accommodate.
Too long a train may not pass each other at the loops or stations.
This was possible if we had a double track all the way.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

hardwood
#113 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 8:54:51 AM

Ericsson wrote:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-07-19/china-s-belt-and-road-leaves-kenya-with-a-railroad-to-nowhere

Fake news.
Ecclesiastes 9:7 So go ahead. Eat your food with joy, and drink your wine with a happy heart, for God approves of this.