Home SK - Stocks, Property, Investment Chamas - Investment Groups BIZ - Small Business Soko - Market Wazua Life About Wazua
SIGN IN REGISTER
Monday, Sep 28, 2020
Investor
We’re investing funds for profit. Join us and wazua!
LATEST DISCUSSIONS
Equity Bank 2020 [54]
Coop Bank 2019 [151]
Safaricom 2019/2020 [420]
KCB buy buy buy [1241]
Centum half year result 2019/2020 [50]
Unga Group FY 2019 profit down 30% [15]
Goodness!!! Safaricom HY 2011-2012 RESULTS Down 5... [181]
Superior Homes to list on NSE Gems counter [7]
2021 Dividend Draught Projections [11]
Why dustbowl is the future [659]
Kenya Airways...why ignore.. [15091]
Trading: Commodities, Equities, Forex, Crypto Etc [2]
City home owners face losses in suspect land deal ... [12]
411 on dividend and AGM [958]
KenyaRe FY19 - FY23 (Both Inclusive) [520]
 
Forum Jump








Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

21 Pages«<1213141516>»
Safaricom 2019/2020
Monk
#261 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2020 6:59:31 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 7/1/2009
Posts: 184
sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
xtina wrote:
aemathenge wrote:
Quote:
Safaricom Partners With PSV Operators To Collect Fares via M-PESA

March 23, 2020

Kenya’s leading telecoms firm Safaricom says it has signed a partnership with public transport sector players to accept cashless payments through M-PESA in the ongoing battle to combat the spread of the Coronavirus.

The partnership will see the crew from partnering public transit firms begin accepting fares through their phone numbers.

In a statement, the telco says the service has already been deployed to more than 300 City Star Shuttle vehicles in Nairobi and will be rolled out to additional players in the coming days.

Passengers paying their fares through the service will follow the standard procedure when sending money to another person, keying the number provided by the crew.


Source: https://kenyanwallstreet...llect-fares-via-m-pesa/

If this works, and we get past the Virus, this will be a huge income stream for the Green Monster.

It will be very interesting to see how this will work. I remember the Equity card some years back that did not do well. Matatu industry is one hard nut to crack.
GoK should not waste a crisis to bring them into line.


Mambo ya matatu ni ngumu. Google gave them Beba pay, Bob Collymore gave them My1963 card + free wifi, Master Card rolled out the pre-paid cards through KCB + Equity. All these efforts failed.

Nothing has really changed to give the new initiative better chances of success.


With all the "stakeholders" in this industry, this would simply add two more beneficiaries, Safaricom and KRA, into the foodchain. They need to free the Investors in this sector of the other leeches first.
xtina
#262 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2020 6:42:55 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 6/26/2008
Posts: 330
Peter Ndegwa starts his reign as Safaricom's boss tody. SM comments were well, interesting to say the leastLaughing out loudly . His focus will be MPESA, data and the telco entry to Ethiopia.


Solving customer problems is part of my DNA, says new Safaricom boss

Wednesday April 1 2020

Peter Ndegwa.


In Summary

Mr Peter Ndegwa said the best leaders are known in times of crisis.
Mr Ndegwa is married to Jemimah Ndegwa and they have a 10-year-old son.
Mr Ndegwa has a Master of Business Administration degree from the London Business School, where he specialised in finance and strategy.




PAUL WAFULA

Mr Peter Ndegwa reports to work at the helm of Safaricom today, becoming the first Kenyan to run East Africa’s most profitable company.

The 51-year-old takes over at a time when the economy is starting to feel the impact of the Covid-19 outbreak, which will affect all sectors and may impact his first year in office.

He takes over a company that makes more than Sh60 billion in profits a year, with revenues of over Sh250 billion at a time when its key profit segments are reaching maturity and plateau stages.

In an exclusive interview with the Nation on Tuesday, Mr Ndegwa said the best leaders are known in times of crisis. He added that he is keen to steer Safaricom through this period and help chart its future given the decline in the traditional sources of revenues such as voice.

INTEGRITY

“It is time to serve my country. There are two things that I value most — humility and integrity. Integrity is about doing what you say and humility is knowing that there is always something more you can do,” he said.
Related Stories


He spoke about his strategy, what he plans to do differently as well as what excites him about the new job. He also addressed pricing issues and how Safaricom will navigate the Covid-19 disruption.

“I like getting things done. The best strategy is about solving the problems faced by our customers and this is part of my DNA. I also like things simple,” he said.

He does not expect to find it easy given the role that Safaricom plays in the lives of Kenyans. He takes over when the National Treasury has classified M-Pesa as a national security threat and when the noises of nationalisation as well as splitting are getting louder by the day.

Mr Ndegwa, an economist and accountant by profession, has just returned from climbing Mt Kilimanjaro as he prepares to take over from Michael Joseph, who was put in charge as a caretaker following the death of Bob Collymore last year.

Mr Ndegwa is married to Jemimah Ndegwa and they have a 10-year-old son.

He said Kenyans should expect him to help Safaricom define its next phase of growth, noting that there are still great opportunities in data, M-Pesa and geographical expansion to Ethiopia.

He further said the Covid-19 outbreak will change the way Kenyans interact with one another for a long time and this will create opportunities in agriculture, health and education. “Learning from home has created opportunities in education through e-learning. We are also looking at how innovation can help us deliver services in healthcare and agriculture,” he said.

He, however, said he cannot promise anything on pricing at this time until he gets in and gets a brief on what factors play in the process.

PRESSURE
Safaricom has come under increasing pressure from consumers to make price cuts on its services, among them M-Pesa, data and Fuliza, given the economies of scale it enjoys.

“We shall listen to our customers. No business survives without providing services that their customers can afford,” he said but added that the company has been investing heavily in infrastructure and this is a key determinant in pricing of its services.

By June, the company plans to have 4G network in all parts of the country. He also said the company will look at the possibilities of segmenting its products to better serve the needs of various customers.

“Safaricom is more than just a telecommunications company. Voice is saturated but that is what is happening everywhere in the world. The best companies renew themselves,” he said.

He said everything about his upbringing and life prepared him well for the current assignment, having grown up from humble beginnings and fought his way to the top through hard work.

Mr Ndegwa has a Master of Business Administration degree from the London Business School, where he specialised in finance and strategy.

He also attended the advanced Management Programme at the University of IESE Spain and Strathmore University. He is a certified public accountant and a member of ICPAK.

He holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics from the University of Nairobi and is an alumnus of Starehe Boys Centre.

Mr Ndegwa draws his inspiration from his primary schoolteachers, the legendary Dr Geoffrey Griffin — the late founder of Starehe Boys Centre — and his parents, especially his mother.

The new Safaricom boss describes himself as a seasoned business and commercial leader with an outstanding track record for transforming organisations and teams, and delivering superior performance.

COMMERCIAL ACUMEN

He says on his Curriculum Vitae that he has exceptional strategic orchestration skills, ability to shape the future and an astute commercial acumen. He is also highly driven, courageous, resilient and has strong people skills, the CV adds.

Mr Ndegwa has an impressive career spanning more than 25 years, starting as a consultant at PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) in the audit firm’s financial services section, before moving to consumer goods with Diageo.

In the past 15 years, he has operated at executive committee and board levels of large publicly listed businesses across Africa as chief executive, senior executive director and board member.

Mr Ndegwa started his career as a graduate trainee at PwC in Nairobi in June 1992. He worked at the firm till June 1996, where he rose through the ranks to an audit assistant, before being promoted to a senior assistant manager.

July 1996 marked the beginning of his global career. PwC put him on its talent development programme that saw him move to London as an audit manager. He was part of PwC’s financial services team in the UK till June 1999. His key clients mainly comprised top 10 global banks, insurance companies and asset managers.

In July 1999, he transitioned from the accountancy practice to the consulting and corporate finance unit after completing his MBA.

Here, he advised on a variety of corporate assignments, providing strategic value advice, shareholder value development, and financial services sector expertise and project management.

His clients ranged from leading European and American banks to insurance businesses. He did this till March 2002.

RELOCATION

In April 2002, he relocated to East Africa after a successful six years with PwC in the London office. Back in Nairobi, he was named the PwC associate director.

He worked on a number of corporate advisory assignments, mostly in the financial services sector, providing advice on strategic transactions, due diligence, valuation, financial planning and modelling as well as project leadership and management.

He left PwC and joined the East Africa Breweries Limited (EABL) as a director of strategy from January 2004 to December 2005. It was in this role that he crafted EABL’s five-year vision and strategy.

Part of the strategy was how to enter the ‘affordable beer market’. This is what led to the introduction of the Senator brand, which was to become the fastest and the most successful innovation in Diageo Africa.

He then became a sales director at EABL from January 2006 to June 2008. Mr Ndegwa led a 150-man commercial team, restructuring the sales function to improve customer service and execution.
He also created a customer marketing team that became the engine of commercial planning and execution, besides restructuring the distributor base at EABL.

From sales director, Mr Ndegwa was promoted to become the Group Finance Director and chief finance officer (CFO) at the Ruaraka-based brewer. This elevated him to the de facto second in command at EABL after the group chief executive.

He held this position between July 2008 and October 2011. In this role, he had responsibility for finance, procurement and information systems.

COMPETITION

As CFO, Mr Ndegwa oversaw the finance and strategy function of the brewer across six countries in East Africa. At that time, his job also included managing SABMiller, an equity and brand partner.
He says he operated as CFO in a dynamic three to four-year period managing a significant commercial agenda. EABL grew its regional business and expanded its spirits business.

In 2010, he led a significant business development agenda, including acquisition of a controlling stake in Tanzania’s Serengeti Breweries Limited and the unwinding of the complex shareholding structure with SABMiller, a direct competitor in Kenya and Tanzania. The transaction size was between Sh7 billion and Sh25 billion.

This opened both markets for direct competition between them.

He then moved to Accra, Ghana, to be the managing director and CEO of Guinness Ghana Breweries between November 2011 and June 2015. Here, he was given the full P & L mandate and he was also managing a 20 per cent equity partnership with Heineken.

Guinness Ghana is a listed business (Diageo held 54 per cent at the time) and had a leadership position in beer and soft drinks. But its position was under threat in a highly competitive market.
After three years in Ghana, he moved to be the CEO of Guinness Nigeria Plc, another Diageo company.

Here, he was accountable for the business with 1,300 employees and the third largest Guinness market globally.

MARKET DYNAMICS

As a CEO, in both roles, he inherited two businesses that were 'crown jewels' in Diageo Africa, but faced significant strategic and operational challenges and their competitive position and business model was under threat from disruptive category and competitive dynamics.

He had a turnaround and transform mandate. He said he managed this transformation by reframing the vision, strategy and the operational priorities of the businesses.

Mr Ndegwa noted that he brought the Guinness franchise back into strong top-line and share growth both in Nigeria and Ghana as some of his achievements.

He also broadened the portfolio through innovation and delivered a Sh1 billion productivity savings over a three-year period in Nigeria, with a simplified and more agile organisation.

During this period, he also led the beer industry group in Nigeria and Ghana that lobbied for a major tax policy win in Ghana and avoided a large excise duty increase in Nigeria. He achieved the turnaround targets and returned to top-line growth in two years.

Guinness Nigeria is a high-profile listed business on the Nigerian Stock Exchange, with iconic and established household brands, a majority controlled by Diageo (58 per cent).

The beer market dynamics were being disrupted by the actions of a major competitor who created a new low-priced beer subcategory challenging Guinness Nigeria’s previous premium price positioning, resulting in market share decline.

He achieved a turnaround at pace and double-digit growth by reframing the strategy and the operational priorities.
aemathenge
#263 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2020 12:03:48 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 10/18/2008
Posts: 3,318
Location: Kerugoya
I have never used the "lipa na mpesa" facility.

I had to today.

I needed an urgent parcel delivered but G4S are not accepting cash.

It is easy. It is convenient. And at the moment, it is cheap.

I will stick with it. So shall many other clients of the Green Monster.

Should we survive The Virus, this share is going to skyrocket.
mlennyma
#264 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2020 12:40:01 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 7/21/2010
Posts: 6,052
Location: nairobi
Iam about to conclude that only the end of the world can shake this share substantially
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
watesh
#265 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2020 1:14:26 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 8/10/2014
Posts: 842
Location: Kenya
Safcom on a bull run already 28.5 now....back to pre-covid 19 prices
tinker
#266 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2020 1:16:55 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 11/15/2010
Posts: 423
Location: Nairobi
Monk wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
xtina wrote:
aemathenge wrote:
Quote:
Safaricom Partners With PSV Operators To Collect Fares via M-PESA

March 23, 2020

Kenya’s leading telecoms firm Safaricom says it has signed a partnership with public transport sector players to accept cashless payments through M-PESA in the ongoing battle to combat the spread of the Coronavirus.

The partnership will see the crew from partnering public transit firms begin accepting fares through their phone numbers.

In a statement, the telco says the service has already been deployed to more than 300 City Star Shuttle vehicles in Nairobi and will be rolled out to additional players in the coming days.

Passengers paying their fares through the service will follow the standard procedure when sending money to another person, keying the number provided by the crew.


Source: https://kenyanwallstreet...llect-fares-via-m-pesa/

If this works, and we get past the Virus, this will be a huge income stream for the Green Monster.

It will be very interesting to see how this will work. I remember the Equity card some years back that did not do well. Matatu industry is one hard nut to crack.
GoK should not waste a crisis to bring them into line.


Mambo ya matatu ni ngumu. Google gave them Beba pay, Bob Collymore gave them My1963 card + free wifi, Master Card rolled out the pre-paid cards through KCB + Equity. All these efforts failed.

Nothing has really changed to give the new initiative better chances of success.


With all the "stakeholders" in this industry, this would simply add two more beneficiaries, Safaricom and KRA, into the foodchain. They need to free the Investors in this sector of the other leeches first.


Laughing out loudly Applause
I do not know any successful, honest and a man of integrity in this sector. due to leeches posing as stakeholders You've captured it well.

....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..
mlennyma
#267 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2020 1:22:21 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 7/21/2010
Posts: 6,052
Location: nairobi
watesh wrote:
Safcom on a bull run already 28.5 now....back to pre-covid 19 prices

what's your take on this stubborn animal?
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
xtina
#268 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2020 1:38:58 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 6/26/2008
Posts: 330
tinker wrote:
Monk wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
xtina wrote:
aemathenge wrote:
Quote:
Safaricom Partners With PSV Operators To Collect Fares via M-PESA

March 23, 2020

Kenya’s leading telecoms firm Safaricom says it has signed a partnership with public transport sector players to accept cashless payments through M-PESA in the ongoing battle to combat the spread of the Coronavirus.

The partnership will see the crew from partnering public transit firms begin accepting fares through their phone numbers.

In a statement, the telco says the service has already been deployed to more than 300 City Star Shuttle vehicles in Nairobi and will be rolled out to additional players in the coming days.

Passengers paying their fares through the service will follow the standard procedure when sending money to another person, keying the number provided by the crew.


Source: https://kenyanwallstreet...llect-fares-via-m-pesa/

If this works, and we get past the Virus, this will be a huge income stream for the Green Monster.

It will be very interesting to see how this will work. I remember the Equity card some years back that did not do well. Matatu industry is one hard nut to crack.
GoK should not waste a crisis to bring them into line.


Mambo ya matatu ni ngumu. Google gave them Beba pay, Bob Collymore gave them My1963 card + free wifi, Master Card rolled out the pre-paid cards through KCB + Equity. All these efforts failed.

Nothing has really changed to give the new initiative better chances of success.


With all the "stakeholders" in this industry, this would simply add two more beneficiaries, Safaricom and KRA, into the foodchain. They need to free the Investors in this sector of the other leeches first.


Laughing out loudly Applause
I do not know any successful, honest and a man of integrity in this sector. due to leeches posing as stakeholders You've captured it well.



Kwanza wale wajamaa wako in every stage, too many leeches my friend. I wonder which matatu is using MPESA to pay fare coz matatu za kwetu walikataa, especially over small distances of 20/=, 30/=, 40/=.
watesh
#269 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2020 1:46:24 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 8/10/2014
Posts: 842
Location: Kenya
mlennyma wrote:
watesh wrote:
Safcom on a bull run already 28.5 now....back to pre-covid 19 prices

what's your take on this stubborn animal?

I think it's the whole sentiment in the market that their whole business model won't be affected negatively by the pandemic. Most analysts think they may gain from data revenue and mpesa revenue....personally, I took my profits at 27. The more this pandemic bites the less the spending in the market and less money circulating. Mpesa needs money to circulate to make money so after a while, it will start to bite. For me, at 28 - 30 it's fully priced for the current conditions... Long time for sure it has a lot of potential assuming no disruption in the industry
Monk
#270 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2020 4:31:59 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 7/1/2009
Posts: 184
watesh wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
watesh wrote:
Safcom on a bull run already 28.5 now....back to pre-covid 19 prices

what's your take on this stubborn animal?

I think it's the whole sentiment in the market that their whole business model won't be affected negatively by the pandemic. Most analysts think they may gain from data revenue and mpesa revenue....personally, I took my profits at 27. The more this pandemic bites the less the spending in the market and less money circulating. Mpesa needs money to circulate to make money so after a while, it will start to bite. For me, at 28 - 30 it's fully priced for the current conditions... Long time for sure it has a lot of potential assuming no disruption in the industry


True, they'll be less money circulating for perhaps a year, but I think this pandemic will irreversibly change the behavior of many users like @aemathenge, after getting them accustomed to Lipa-na-Mpesa and e-commerce during his period. That will be a boon for Safaricom in the long term, as the economy recovers.
Angelica _ann
#271 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2020 5:49:57 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/7/2012
Posts: 11,701
Monk wrote:
watesh wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
watesh wrote:
Safcom on a bull run already 28.5 now....back to pre-covid 19 prices

what's your take on this stubborn animal?

I think it's the whole sentiment in the market that their whole business model won't be affected negatively by the pandemic. Most analysts think they may gain from data revenue and mpesa revenue....personally, I took my profits at 27. The more this pandemic bites the less the spending in the market and less money circulating. Mpesa needs money to circulate to make money so after a while, it will start to bite. For me, at 28 - 30 it's fully priced for the current conditions... Long time for sure it has a lot of potential assuming no disruption in the industry


True, they'll be less money circulating for perhaps a year, but I think this pandemic will irreversibly change the behavior of many users like @aemathenge, after getting them accustomed to Lipa-na-Mpesa and e-commerce during his period. That will be a boon for Safaricom in the long term, as the economy recovers.


Bought electricity using 888880 today, for the amount i purchased am normally charged 34 bob, today i have been charged 85 bob Sad Ukora wizi!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
winmak
#272 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2020 8:05:27 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 12/1/2007
Posts: 512
Location: Nakuru
Angelica _ann wrote:
Monk wrote:
watesh wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
watesh wrote:
Safcom on a bull run already 28.5 now....back to pre-covid 19 prices

what's your take on this stubborn animal?

I think it's the whole sentiment in the market that their whole business model won't be affected negatively by the pandemic. Most analysts think they may gain from data revenue and mpesa revenue....personally, I took my profits at 27. The more this pandemic bites the less the spending in the market and less money circulating. Mpesa needs money to circulate to make money so after a while, it will start to bite. For me, at 28 - 30 it's fully priced for the current conditions... Long time for sure it has a lot of potential assuming no disruption in the industry


True, they'll be less money circulating for perhaps a year, but I think this pandemic will irreversibly change the behavior of many users like @aemathenge, after getting them accustomed to Lipa-na-Mpesa and e-commerce during his period. That will be a boon for Safaricom in the long term, as the economy recovers.


Bought electricity using 888880 today, for the amount i purchased am normally charged 34 bob, today i have been charged 85 bob Sad Ukora wizi!!!


me too !!!!
For investors as a whole, returns decrease as motion increases ~ WB
NewMoney
#273 Posted : Friday, April 03, 2020 8:54:35 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 3/1/2019
Posts: 157
Location: Nairobi
Monk wrote:
watesh wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
watesh wrote:
Safcom on a bull run already 28.5 now....back to pre-covid 19 prices

what's your take on this stubborn animal?

I think it's the whole sentiment in the market that their whole business model won't be affected negatively by the pandemic. Most analysts think they may gain from data revenue and mpesa revenue....personally, I took my profits at 27. The more this pandemic bites the less the spending in the market and less money circulating. Mpesa needs money to circulate to make money so after a while, it will start to bite. For me, at 28 - 30 it's fully priced for the current conditions... Long time for sure it has a lot of potential assuming no disruption in the industry


True, they'll be less money circulating for perhaps a year, but I think this pandemic will irreversibly change the behavior of many users like @aemathenge, after getting them accustomed to Lipa-na-Mpesa and e-commerce during his period. That will be a boon for Safaricom in the long term, as the economy recovers.



I will keep buying this counter. Post Covid-19, safaricom will easily cross the 50/= mark. Life will change as we know it, things will be more "digital" than ever and safaricom is the most important "digital" player at NSE
xtina
#274 Posted : Friday, April 03, 2020 9:32:35 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 6/26/2008
Posts: 330
Sad Sad Sad
Ethiopia closes door on M-Pesa
Friday, April 3, 2020 8:35


Ethiopia has shut the door for foreign mobile phone companies like Safaricom, which had hoped to introduce its popular M-Pesa mobile money transfer platform in the market of 100 million people, saying only local companies would be allowed to do offer such services.

Safaricom had launched talks with the Ethiopian government to launch the mobile money service in the country but Thursday, the Ethiopia’s central bank said it would only allow locally-owned non-financial institutions to offer mobile money services as it seeks to boost non-cash payments.

The new directive means that only companies like Ethio Telecom, which is a government-owned monopoly, have the greenlight to move into mobile money services. It also means foreign companies have effectively been locked out. As such, for a company like Safaricom to offer the service in Ethiopia, it will need to go into partnership with Ethio Telecom, which is in line to be privatised through the sale of a minority stake.

Safaricom, in partnership with its parent company Vodacom, and a number of other global telecom firms such as MTN, Orange, Etisalat and Airtel, have all expressed interest in gaining access to Ethiopia’s fast-growing mobile phone services market.

Without further changes to the regulations, Safaricom will remain unable to offer mobile financial services business in the customer-rich market, analysts said.



“This directive effectively excludes foreign fintech and telecom companies from reaping the business benefits,” Bahakal Abate, a corporate lawyer in Addis Ababa, told Reuters.

Besides telecommunications, the Ethiopian government last year announced plans to open up the aviation sector, the State logistics firm and electricity monopoly to private investment. The telecommunications monopoly, Ethio Telecom, is seen as the biggest prize due to its huge protected market. Ethio Telecom’s subscriber base of 44 million makes it the biggest single-country customer base of any operator in Africa.

Players like Safaricom are attracted by the growth potential in that market, whose 100 million population means the country a penetration rate of 44 percent. By contrast, Kenya’s 52.2 million mobile phone subscribers gives it a penetration of 109.2 percent.

M-Pesa has the potential to transform Ethiopia’s economy, as it has done in Kenya, by allowing people to sidestep a rickety and inefficient banking system and send each other money or make payments at the touch of a phone button. The ability to access digital banking services is likely to be a game-changer for Ethiopians whose banking sector has no way of transfering funds from one bank to another.

Safaricom is one of several Kenyan firms that have been eyeing the Ethiopian market for years due to the country’s huge population. Ethiopia has kept foreign involvement in the economy at a bare minimum.

The country has consistently registered robust economic growth, averaging 10 percent in the past five years, and its ongoing economic reforms look set to strengthen investor sentiment. Its population, which is the second largest in Africa after Nigeria, also offers immense opportunities for business.
watesh
#275 Posted : Friday, April 03, 2020 9:47:31 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 8/10/2014
Posts: 842
Location: Kenya
NewMoney wrote:
Monk wrote:
watesh wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
watesh wrote:
Safcom on a bull run already 28.5 now....back to pre-covid 19 prices

what's your take on this stubborn animal?

I think it's the whole sentiment in the market that their whole business model won't be affected negatively by the pandemic. Most analysts think they may gain from data revenue and mpesa revenue....personally, I took my profits at 27. The more this pandemic bites the less the spending in the market and less money circulating. Mpesa needs money to circulate to make money so after a while, it will start to bite. For me, at 28 - 30 it's fully priced for the current conditions... Long time for sure it has a lot of potential assuming no disruption in the industry


True, they'll be less money circulating for perhaps a year, but I think this pandemic will irreversibly change the behavior of many users like @aemathenge, after getting them accustomed to Lipa-na-Mpesa and e-commerce during his period. That will be a boon for Safaricom in the long term, as the economy recovers.



I will keep buying this counter. Post Covid-19, safaricom will easily cross the 50/= mark. Life will change as we know it, things will be more "digital" than ever and safaricom is the most important "digital" player at NSE

I feel it will need a number of years to hit 50. It technically means it should double its net income. Currently, voice revenues are on the decline due to disruption from the likes of whatsapp, customers are complaining about high mpesa charges and so alternatives like Pesalink are starting to be more attractive but at the moment it's still a very tiny competitor. Lipa Na Mpesa needs massive volumes to increases its revenue share in the mpesa revenue. It currently stands at less than 20%. Data revenue growth is always strangled with the annual price reductions.....50 is attainable but may take at least 2 years if our economy survives.....Ethiopia may never happen. Telecoms is a cash cow for the government and they may find it hard to let it go to foreign investors
Angelica _ann
#276 Posted : Friday, April 03, 2020 10:25:42 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/7/2012
Posts: 11,701
Currently it is defying Corona menenos well past 29 bob, now that full year result is just about to be announced, looks like they are good.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
winmak
#277 Posted : Friday, April 03, 2020 10:38:37 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 12/1/2007
Posts: 512
Location: Nakuru
watesh wrote:
NewMoney wrote:
Monk wrote:
watesh wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
watesh wrote:
Safcom on a bull run already 28.5 now....back to pre-covid 19 prices

what's your take on this stubborn animal?

I think it's the whole sentiment in the market that their whole business model won't be affected negatively by the pandemic. Most analysts think they may gain from data revenue and mpesa revenue....personally, I took my profits at 27. The more this pandemic bites the less the spending in the market and less money circulating. Mpesa needs money to circulate to make money so after a while, it will start to bite. For me, at 28 - 30 it's fully priced for the current conditions... Long time for sure it has a lot of potential assuming no disruption in the industry


True, they'll be less money circulating for perhaps a year, but I think this pandemic will irreversibly change the behavior of many users like @aemathenge, after getting them accustomed to Lipa-na-Mpesa and e-commerce during his period. That will be a boon for Safaricom in the long term, as the economy recovers.



I will keep buying this counter. Post Covid-19, safaricom will easily cross the 50/= mark. Life will change as we know it, things will be more "digital" than ever and safaricom is the most important "digital" player at NSE

I feel it will need a number of years to hit 50. It technically means it should double its net income. Currently, voice revenues are on the decline due to disruption from the likes of whatsapp, customers are complaining about high mpesa charges and so alternatives like Pesalink are starting to be more attractive but at the moment it's still a very tiny competitor. Lipa Na Mpesa needs massive volumes to increases its revenue share in the mpesa revenue. It currently stands at less than 20%. Data revenue growth is always strangled with the annual price reductions.....50 is attainable but may take at least 2 years if our economy survives.....Ethiopia may never happen. Telecoms is a cash cow for the government and they may find it hard to let it go to foreign investors



https://www.businessdail...12542-l8x3ju/index.html

signs of the times...

As supply dries out
For investors as a whole, returns decrease as motion increases ~ WB
Ericsson
#278 Posted : Sunday, April 05, 2020 7:33:21 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 8,860
Location: NAIROBI
Angelica _ann wrote:
Currently it is defying Corona menenos well past 29 bob, now that full year result is just about to be announced, looks like they are good.


Mpesa is getting a big hit with the closing down of social places
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
babashuge
#279 Posted : Sunday, April 05, 2020 7:12:14 PM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 1/4/2019
Posts: 54
Location: Nairobi
Angelica _ann wrote:
Currently it is defying Corona menenos well past 29 bob, now that full year result is just about to be announced, looks like they are good.


Are the foreigners that left back or is it general confidence in the mpesa that's keeping it up?
babashuge
#280 Posted : Sunday, April 05, 2020 7:14:48 PM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 1/4/2019
Posts: 54
Location: Nairobi
Ericsson wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Currently it is defying Corona menenos well past 29 bob, now that full year result is just about to be announced, looks like they are good.


Mpesa is getting a big hit with the closing down of social places


There's a lot more mpesa transactions generally, and turns out they aren't free... i'm really curious to see how the numbers pan out for mpesa Q1 & Q2
Users browsing this topic
Guest
21 Pages«<1213141516>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Home | . .. Investor | .. . Groups | .. . SME | . . . Market | .. . Club SK | . ..... About Wazua | . .. Search | . ..Sitemap | . ..Support | . ..Disclaimer | . ..Privacy Policy | . ..Terms of Use | . .. Contact Us
Copyright © 2020 Wazua.co.ke. All Rights Reserved.