Home SK - Stocks, Property, Investment Chamas - Investment Groups BIZ - Small Business Soko - Market Wazua Life About Wazua
SIGN IN REGISTER
Friday, Nov 16, 2018
Market
To contribute to these and use other features, please register.
LATEST DISCUSSIONS
How did you make your first Kes million? [339]
KODI [295]
Request for help From Safaricom Sacco Members [3]
How Safaricom Steals Your Internet Bundle [47]
salt water boiler/heater [6]
100% solar powered maisonette possible? [29]
20 ft Container [17]
reliable Japan car exporter? [7]
Selling my 50acers for 6 million. need a buyer urg... [48]
For Sale: JKUAT Karangaita Plot [3]
bathroom in a timber house [6]
Why do Kenyans love tinted windows? [27]
50/100 Plot for sale Global village park Kitengela... [4]
Northstar Telecom Batteries [1]
Dura Coat or Crown Paint? [15]
 
Forum Jump


Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages123>»
Kenya has the 2nd fastest Internet speeds on the continent.
masukuma
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 9:49:13 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 10/4/2006
Posts: 12,867
Location: Nairobi
We beat the big boyz, Nigeria, SA, Egypt, Morocco e.t.c
http://www.cio.co.ke/vie...-internet-in-africa.html
masukuma attached the following image(s):
market.png (31kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
KulaRaha
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 10:30:27 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 7/26/2007
Posts: 6,333
If this the fastest there is, I wonder how the rest of the world is...
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
masukuma
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 10:47:46 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 10/4/2006
Posts: 12,867
Location: Nairobi
KulaRaha wrote:
If this the fastest there is, I wonder how the rest of the world is...

we always complain...always...can't we for once be thankful? the other thing we complain about is taxes - do your research, even TZ charges more tax than us. if you went to some countries in Europe, close to 60% of your taxes would be redistributed to the people. In Kenya the tax paying population is too small with 40% being unemployed, and 75% of the rest in agriculture i.e.45% and of which 50% are subsistence farmers. we have a very small income tax paying population.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
Burning Spear
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 12:12:50 PM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 7/22/2008
Posts: 1,139
I agree the internet speed in Kenya is unbelievably fast.This is with exception of the last 2 weeks or so when an under cable was destroyed along the Kenyan coast by a ship as it docked.This has resulted to intermittent and slow internet speed. For those who have visited SA, and other african countries in Central and East regions, you will appreciate how Kenya's internet has improved.

The cable will be fully repaired by end of next week and the internet speed expected to normalize.
"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it". Malcolm X
masukuma
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 2:07:01 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 10/4/2006
Posts: 12,867
Location: Nairobi
Burning Spear wrote:
I agree the internet speed in Kenya is unbelievably fast.This is with exception of the last 2 weeks or so when an under cable was destroyed along the Kenyan coast by a ship as it docked.This has resulted to intermittent and slow internet speed. For those who have visited SA, and other african countries in Central and East regions, you will appreciate how Kenya's internet has improved.

The cable will be fully repaired by end of next week and the internet speed expected to normalize.

Niko Lesotho as we speak... hapa ni machozi tupu, its too expensive (1Gb for around 3500 bob) and sio hata fast - machozi tele!
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
poundfoolish
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 2:24:58 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/2/2009
Posts: 2,419
Location: Nairobi
I remember the noise about the Kenyan Shilling depreciation.. and we complained about how the government is failing or doing nothing.....

looking further afield, Nigeria and South Africa had done worse..not mentioning Egypt and even Brazil (BRIC leader)..

sometimes wakenya ni kelele mingi sana..
SiriKali1
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 3:38:47 PM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 3/4/2012
Posts: 37
That is impressive. Those download speeds allow a brother to download some serious pornsmile .

Jokes aside, ni hatua kubwa. I still remember siku za 56 K. Horror! Not to be naive, but I wonder if the Internet caves have graduated to Ethernet or whether wanatumia laini za simu bado.
kyt
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 4:33:22 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 11/7/2007
Posts: 2,182
ati we complain too much, yes we do with a good reason, you cant be having an internet of 250kpbs and huko kwa "fibre" fibre my foot!!!!
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
Burning Spear
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 5:36:25 PM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 7/22/2008
Posts: 1,139
kyt wrote:
ati we complain too much, yes we do with a good reason, you cant be having an internet of 250kpbs and huko kwa "fibre" fibre my foot!!!!


Kenyans complain alot even with no good reason. I remember sometimes in january or december when a litre of super had surpassed the 120 mark and the media and foolish politicians were telling Kenyans that the same in Tanzania was retailing at approximately ksh 60.

I was in Dar at the time and did not see anywhere fuel was cheaper than in kenya.
"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it". Malcolm X
masukuma
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 7:39:17 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 10/4/2006
Posts: 12,867
Location: Nairobi
Burning Spear wrote:
kyt wrote:
ati we complain too much, yes we do with a good reason, you cant be having an internet of 250kpbs and huko kwa "fibre" fibre my foot!!!!


Kenyans complain alot even with no good reason. I remember sometimes in january or december when a litre of super had surpassed the 120 mark and the media and foolish politicians were telling Kenyans that the same in Tanzania was retailing at approximately ksh 60.

I was in Dar at the time and did not see anywhere fuel was cheaper than in kenya.

kawaida yetu...we are very unthankful people.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
maligumu
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 7:44:13 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 2/22/2010
Posts: 510
Location: De egg
Kenyans complain selectively .
Peace be with you
kyt
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 9:33:10 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 11/7/2007
Posts: 2,182
how so masukuma, do you mean to say that u r satisfied with internet speeds as they are, and are so expensive to boot, despite kenya having 3 fiber cables? i wonder how malili will ever come about!!
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
harrydre
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 10:51:55 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 7/10/2008
Posts: 8,914
Location: Kanjo
Still way too slow and expensive. Anything below 13mbps download is slow! I have 17mbps and sometimes it goes upto 27mbps all for a mere $30 a month unlimited. We still have a way to go as a country...let's go for the best
Cameroon 2019 Ndani Ndaani Ndaaaani!
nifunze
#14 Posted : Friday, March 09, 2012 1:03:34 PM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 7/4/2011
Posts: 28
This is commendable, but I think the cost is still quite high, one and a half years ago when I lived in India my 2mbps broadband connection used to cost me around 1thao KES per month, I remember enjoying my EPL online streaming bila interruption(My provider was Bharti Airtel btw...). With three undersea cables we can do better on the cost front.
essyk
#15 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 1:17:04 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 11/15/2011
Posts: 4,239


Why do Nigerians hate it when Ghanians overtake them in everything?
They seem to be competing for the title 'Giant of Africa'

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.
the deal
#16 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 1:31:20 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,393
Location: Windhoek/Nairobbery
Folks in Namibia are enjoying the 4G network http://www.namibian.com....s-4g-cellular-telephony/
newcomer
#17 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 3:53:27 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 3/22/2008
Posts: 83
SiriKali1 wrote:
That is impressive. Those download speeds allow a brother to download some serious pornsmile .

Jokes aside, ni hatua kubwa. I still remember siku za 56 K. Horror! Not to be naive, but I wonder if the Internet caves have graduated to Ethernet or whether wanatumia laini za simu bado.

Cybers, being obvious clients for internet are first to be approached by service providers, with well designed packages to attract. I run a cyber with a dedicated connection via wimax signal form KDN. Payment is very low. Currently connected with 1MBPs. At good times, I enjoy effective download speed of 120kps. This is a far cry form the pre-fibre times when telkom would provide us with 128kps@9300. Effective dowload speeds would be a high of 12kbs with an average of 8kps. We have come form far.
chumachumz
#18 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:14:29 PM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 5/2/2010
Posts: 36
Location: nairobi
The problem with our internet speeds and why we cant enjoy download speeds of above 10 mbps like guys in America is that most of the content we want to access is either in the US or in some country in Europe. To have 1GB link from kenya to the UK alone is quite costly for ISPs hence they have to share the limited bandwidth they have to large pool of customers.
jaggernaut
#19 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:09:46 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 10/9/2008
Posts: 5,389
chumachumz wrote:
The problem with our internet speeds and why we cant enjoy download speeds of above 10 mbps like guys in America is that most of the content we want to access is either in the US or in some country in Europe. To have 1GB link from kenya to the UK alone is quite costly for ISPs hence they have to share the limited bandwidth they have to large pool of customers.


Infact i do enjoy download speeds of over 55mbps in my office in Nairobi!

jaggernaut
#20 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:37:51 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 10/9/2008
Posts: 5,389
Here's another test result.

Users browsing this topic
Guest
4 Pages123>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Home | . .. Investor | .. . Groups | .. . SME | . . . Market | .. . Club SK | . ..... About Wazua | . .. Search | . ..Sitemap | . ..Support | . ..Disclaimer | . ..Privacy Policy | . ..Terms of Use | . .. Contact Us
Copyright © 2018 Wazua.co.ke. All Rights Reserved.