Home SK - Stocks, Property, Investment Chamas - Investment Groups BIZ - Small Business Soko - Market Wazua Life About Wazua
SIGN IN REGISTER
Thursday, Jul 18, 2019
Investor
We’re investing funds for profit. Join us and wazua!
FEATURE  

LATEST DISCUSSIONS
Transcentury vs Kenya Power [59]
Mumias Sugar huge demand [2660]
KCB and NBK material announcement [163]
KCB 2018 and Beyond [323]
SGR officially dead. What next? [107]
Kenya Airways...why ignore.. [13264]
Sunset Boulevard vs Everest Park [48]
Williamson Tea &, Kapchorua [37]
Bitcoin: Best app to use for transactions [7]
Speculating in cryptocurrencies: A rough approach [249]
Bitcoin: Does it have a future ? [1116]
411 on dividend and AGM [681]
Safaricom, Equity Bank Ethiopian Connection [43]
Mobile Loans Ponzi [184]
UAP OLD Mutual FY2018 Loss of ksh.480mn [12]
 
Forum Jump








Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages«<56789>»
Safaricom FY 2018/19
Ericsson
#121 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2019 10:49:14 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 6,865
Location: NAIROBI
tandich wrote:
Exclusive: Ethiopia plans to issue telco licenses by year-end

Quote:
Vodafone, South African operator MTN, France's Orange and Etisalat of the United Arab Emirates are likely to be among the leading contenders vying for entry into the Ethiopian market.


Green giant missing conspicuously. But all this is speculation as it stands.

Same as Vodacom meaning this will be a seperate entity directly reporting to Vodafone UK
As you said this is speculation,let's wait and see
Ericsson
#122 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:29:42 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 6,865
Location: NAIROBI
Safaricom introduces ‘reverse call’ feature for on-net calls where a caller can transfer call cost to the receiver by adding ‘#’ before the number they are calling; receiver will be prompted to accept or reject the call.
Mastermind
#123 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:39:00 PM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 1/25/2012
Posts: 1,558
Location: Langley


Telkom 2013??
If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
Angelica _ann
#124 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:48:06 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/7/2012
Posts: 10,549
Ericsson wrote:
Safaricom introduces ‘reverse call’ feature for on-net calls where a caller can transfer call cost to the receiver by adding ‘#’ before the number they are calling; receiver will be prompted to accept or reject the call.


Safaricon slaying smile
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
rwitre
#125 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 2:08:04 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 3/8/2018
Posts: 327
Location: Nairobi
By the way....Facebook's Libra will eat into MPESA future revenues.

Like WhatsApp did to SMS
murchr
#126 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 2:10:04 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 2/26/2012
Posts: 14,592
rwitre wrote:
By the way....Facebook's Libra will eat into MPESA future revenues.

Like WhatsApp did to SMS


Good luck to Facebook
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
.
Angelica _ann
#127 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 2:12:54 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/7/2012
Posts: 10,549
murchr wrote:
rwitre wrote:
By the way....Facebook's Libra will eat into MPESA future revenues.

Like WhatsApp did to SMS


Good luck to Facebook


Not the Kenya Mpesa, this one we are hooked kabisaa!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
rwitre
#128 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 2:22:24 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 3/8/2018
Posts: 327
Location: Nairobi
Angelica _ann wrote:
murchr wrote:
rwitre wrote:
By the way....Facebook's Libra will eat into MPESA future revenues.

Like WhatsApp did to SMS


Good luck to Facebook


Not the Kenya Mpesa, this one we are hooked kabisaa!!!



You will be able to send money, at a fraction of the cost, through Facebook's apps (WhatsApp, Instagram, Messenger..)

Tell a Kenyan he can send money to his friend through WhatsApp.

MPESA better adapt fast.
Angelica _ann
#129 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 2:28:12 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/7/2012
Posts: 10,549
rwitre wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
murchr wrote:
rwitre wrote:
By the way....Facebook's Libra will eat into MPESA future revenues.

Like WhatsApp did to SMS


Good luck to Facebook


Not the Kenya Mpesa, this one we are hooked kabisaa!!!



You will be able to send money, at a fraction of the cost, through Facebook's apps (WhatsApp, Instagram, Messenger..)

Tell a Kenyan he can send money to his friend through WhatsApp.

MPESA better adapt fast.


Probably explain like deposit, withdrawal, security etc?
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
rwitre
#130 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 2:48:10 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 3/8/2018
Posts: 327
Location: Nairobi
Angelica _ann wrote:
rwitre wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
murchr wrote:
rwitre wrote:
By the way....Facebook's Libra will eat into MPESA future revenues.

Like WhatsApp did to SMS


Good luck to Facebook


Not the Kenya Mpesa, this one we are hooked kabisaa!!!



You will be able to send money, at a fraction of the cost, through Facebook's apps (WhatsApp, Instagram, Messenger..)

Tell a Kenyan he can send money to his friend through WhatsApp.

MPESA better adapt fast.


Probably explain like deposit, withdrawal, security etc?


Still under development, to be launched early 2020.
Here is a nice piece on the information released so far
maka
#131 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 2:57:21 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 4/22/2010
Posts: 11,077
Location: Nairobi
rwitre wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
murchr wrote:
rwitre wrote:
By the way....Facebook's Libra will eat into MPESA future revenues.

Like WhatsApp did to SMS


Good luck to Facebook


Not the Kenya Mpesa, this one we are hooked kabisaa!!!



You will be able to send money, at a fraction of the cost, through Facebook's apps (WhatsApp, Instagram, Messenger..)

Tell a Kenyan he can send money to his friend through WhatsApp.

MPESA better adapt fast.


Most important bit... If you are heavy Mpesa user try calculate how much you use for transaction costs per month...You will be shocked...
possunt quia posse videntur
Kusadikika
#132 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 3:12:00 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 7/22/2008
Posts: 2,472
rwitre wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
rwitre wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
murchr wrote:
rwitre wrote:
By the way....Facebook's Libra will eat into MPESA future revenues.

Like WhatsApp did to SMS


Good luck to Facebook


Not the Kenya Mpesa, this one we are hooked kabisaa!!!



You will be able to send money, at a fraction of the cost, through Facebook's apps (WhatsApp, Instagram, Messenger..)

Tell a Kenyan he can send money to his friend through WhatsApp.

MPESA better adapt fast.


Probably explain like deposit, withdrawal, security etc?


Still under development, to be launched early 2020.
Here is a nice piece on the information released so far



The technology is there, the kizungumkuti is going to be Government regulation. A global Mpesa system will not seat comfortably with many banks and local Safaricom's all over the world.

I think what Governments will do is adopt the Chinese model of bureaucracy in banking. Contrary to popular belief a foreigner can actually open a bank in China... you only have to follow a few rules. One you apply for a licence to register the bank... this takes a couple of months.. once you get the licence then you apply for another licence to accept deposits.... you need the first licence before you can apply for the second.... this takes another couple of months to process.......then you apply for another licence to allow withdrawal.... you need the first 2 licences before you can apply for this one... this takes a couple of months...... Now all this is only to have a physical bank... if you want your bank to have a website you need to apply for another licence....... another few months...... then if you want to have people do any kind of transactions on the website you need another licence....... etc etc. They also make it more complicated by having all these licences issued by different institutions so you have to deal with different people every time. I was listening to a presentation by an executive of an American Bank that has been in China for 10 years and they are still applying for some licences.

People forget that the reason Mpesa took off in Kenya so fast was not so much because of the Technology but because the then CBK governor Prof. Ndung'u and then acting Finance Minister John Michuki bought into the idea and allowed it be established.

Michael Joseph tried to replicate Mpesa for Vodafone across the world with limited success and he found out that the biggest hurdle was Government regulation.
FUNKY
#133 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:10:04 PM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 4/30/2010
Posts: 1,448
murchr
#134 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:18:46 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 2/26/2012
Posts: 14,592
Kusadikika wrote:
rwitre wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
rwitre wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
murchr wrote:
rwitre wrote:
By the way....Facebook's Libra will eat into MPESA future revenues.

Like WhatsApp did to SMS


Good luck to Facebook


Not the Kenya Mpesa, this one we are hooked kabisaa!!!



You will be able to send money, at a fraction of the cost, through Facebook's apps (WhatsApp, Instagram, Messenger..)

Tell a Kenyan he can send money to his friend through WhatsApp.

MPESA better adapt fast.


Probably explain like deposit, withdrawal, security etc?


Still under development, to be launched early 2020.
Here is a nice piece on the information released so far



The technology is there, the kizungumkuti is going to be Government regulation. A global Mpesa system will not seat comfortably with many banks and local Safaricom's all over the world.

I think what Governments will do is adopt the Chinese model of bureaucracy in banking. Contrary to popular belief a foreigner can actually open a bank in China... you only have to follow a few rules. One you apply for a licence to register the bank... this takes a couple of months.. once you get the licence then you apply for another licence to accept deposits.... you need the first licence before you can apply for the second.... this takes another couple of months to process.......then you apply for another licence to allow withdrawal.... you need the first 2 licences before you can apply for this one... this takes a couple of months...... Now all this is only to have a physical bank... if you want your bank to have a website you need to apply for another licence....... another few months...... then if you want to have people do any kind of transactions on the website you need another licence....... etc etc. They also make it more complicated by having all these licences issued by different institutions so you have to deal with different people every time. I was listening to a presentation by an executive of an American Bank that has been in China for 10 years and they are still applying for some licences.

People forget that the reason Mpesa took off in Kenya so fast was not so much because of the Technology but because the then CBK governor Prof. Ndung'u and then acting Finance Minister John Michuki bought into the idea and allowed it be established.

Michael Joseph tried to replicate Mpesa for Vodafone across the world with limited success and he found out that the biggest hurdle was Government regulation.



Bulls-eye!
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
.
freiks
#135 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:30:53 PM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 6/8/2010
Posts: 1,662
maka wrote:
rwitre wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
murchr wrote:
rwitre wrote:
By the way....Facebook's Libra will eat into MPESA future revenues.

Like WhatsApp did to SMS


Good luck to Facebook


Not the Kenya Mpesa, this one we are hooked kabisaa!!!



You will be able to send money, at a fraction of the cost, through Facebook's apps (WhatsApp, Instagram, Messenger..)

Tell a Kenyan he can send money to his friend through WhatsApp.

MPESA better adapt fast.


Most important bit... If you are heavy Mpesa user try calculate how much you use for transaction costs per month...You will be shocked...


Always find it funny, @Maka always has some negative thoughts about Kenyan companies be it KQ, now he seems to smile that FB will eat at safcom. Anyway its just my thoughts
Life is an endless adventure
Angelica _ann
#136 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:46:00 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/7/2012
Posts: 10,549
freiks wrote:
maka wrote:
rwitre wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
murchr wrote:
rwitre wrote:
By the way....Facebook's Libra will eat into MPESA future revenues.

Like WhatsApp did to SMS


Good luck to Facebook


Not the Kenya Mpesa, this one we are hooked kabisaa!!!



You will be able to send money, at a fraction of the cost, through Facebook's apps (WhatsApp, Instagram, Messenger..)

Tell a Kenyan he can send money to his friend through WhatsApp.

MPESA better adapt fast.


Most important bit... If you are heavy Mpesa user try calculate how much you use for transaction costs per month...You will be shocked...


Always find it funny, @Maka always has some negative thoughts about Kenyan companies be it KQ, now he seems to smile that FB will eat at safcom. Anyway its just my thoughts


I don't know about any other company, but for KQ am with him all the way. KQ yawa, please. Don't spoil this thread.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
VituVingiSana
#137 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:22:44 PM
Rank: Chief


Joined: 1/3/2007
Posts: 16,033
Location: Nairobi
freiks wrote:
maka wrote:
rwitre wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
murchr wrote:
rwitre wrote:
By the way....Facebook's Libra will eat into MPESA future revenues.

Like WhatsApp did to SMS


Good luck to Facebook


Not the Kenya Mpesa, this one we are hooked kabisaa!!!



You will be able to send money, at a fraction of the cost, through Facebook's apps (WhatsApp, Instagram, Messenger..)

Tell a Kenyan he can send money to his friend through WhatsApp.

MPESA better adapt fast.


Most important bit... If you are heavy Mpesa user try calculate how much you use for transaction costs per month...You will be shocked...


Always find it funny, @Maka always has some negative thoughts about Kenyan companies be it KQ, now he seems to smile that FB will eat at safcom. Anyway its just my thoughts
Nonsense. Biashara ni biashara. If a firm can't hack it, it will die. It's the nature of the beast.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
VituVingiSana
#138 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:24:19 PM
Rank: Chief


Joined: 1/3/2007
Posts: 16,033
Location: Nairobi
rwitre wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
murchr wrote:
rwitre wrote:
By the way....Facebook's Libra will eat into MPESA future revenues.

Like WhatsApp did to SMS


Good luck to Facebook


Not the Kenya Mpesa, this one we are hooked kabisaa!!!



You will be able to send money, at a fraction of the cost, through Facebook's apps (WhatsApp, Instagram, Messenger..)

Tell a Kenyan he can send money to his friend through WhatsApp.

MPESA better adapt fast.
Does this mean I will start getting random requests for contributions to "donate" to someone's wedding or funeral?
Currently, I can happily (mostly) ignore them.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
maka
#139 Posted : Wednesday, June 19, 2019 8:04:33 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 4/22/2010
Posts: 11,077
Location: Nairobi
Angelica _ann wrote:
freiks wrote:
maka wrote:
rwitre wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
murchr wrote:
rwitre wrote:
By the way....Facebook's Libra will eat into MPESA future revenues.

Like WhatsApp did to SMS


Good luck to Facebook


Not the Kenya Mpesa, this one we are hooked kabisaa!!!



You will be able to send money, at a fraction of the cost, through Facebook's apps (WhatsApp, Instagram, Messenger..)

Tell a Kenyan he can send money to his friend through WhatsApp.

MPESA better adapt fast.


Most important bit... If you are heavy Mpesa user try calculate how much you use for transaction costs per month...You will be shocked...


Always find it funny, @Maka always has some negative thoughts about Kenyan companies be it KQ, now he seems to smile that FB will eat at safcom. Anyway its just my thoughts


I don't know about any other company, but for KQ am with him all the way. KQ yawa, please. Don't spoil this thread.


I am also wondering I thought companies is plural...d'oh! d'oh!
possunt quia posse videntur
sparkly
#140 Posted : Wednesday, June 19, 2019 9:40:43 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 9/23/2009
Posts: 7,045
Location: Enk are Nyirobi
murchr wrote:
Kusadikika wrote:
rwitre wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
rwitre wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
murchr wrote:
rwitre wrote:
By the way....Facebook's Libra will eat into MPESA future revenues.

Like WhatsApp did to SMS


Good luck to Facebook


Not the Kenya Mpesa, this one we are hooked kabisaa!!!



You will be able to send money, at a fraction of the cost, through Facebook's apps (WhatsApp, Instagram, Messenger..)

Tell a Kenyan he can send money to his friend through WhatsApp.

MPESA better adapt fast.


Probably explain like deposit, withdrawal, security etc?


Still under development, to be launched early 2020.
Here is a nice piece on the information released so far



The technology is there, the kizungumkuti is going to be Government regulation. A global Mpesa system will not seat comfortably with many banks and local Safaricom's all over the world.

I think what Governments will do is adopt the Chinese model of bureaucracy in banking. Contrary to popular belief a foreigner can actually open a bank in China... you only have to follow a few rules. One you apply for a licence to register the bank... this takes a couple of months.. once you get the licence then you apply for another licence to accept deposits.... you need the first licence before you can apply for the second.... this takes another couple of months to process.......then you apply for another licence to allow withdrawal.... you need the first 2 licences before you can apply for this one... this takes a couple of months...... Now all this is only to have a physical bank... if you want your bank to have a website you need to apply for another licence....... another few months...... then if you want to have people do any kind of transactions on the website you need another licence....... etc etc. They also make it more complicated by having all these licences issued by different institutions so you have to deal with different people every time. I was listening to a presentation by an executive of an American Bank that has been in China for 10 years and they are still applying for some licences.

People forget that the reason Mpesa took off in Kenya so fast was not so much because of the Technology but because the then CBK governor Prof. Ndung'u and then acting Finance Minister John Michuki bought into the idea and allowed it be established.

Michael Joseph tried to replicate Mpesa for Vodafone across the world with limited success and he found out that the biggest hurdle was Government regulation.



Bulls-eye!



Agreed. Zuck says libra is targeted at the 1B users in developing world without bank accounts. He is assuming that the governments of India, China, Latin America will freely cede their sovereign currency if favour of a currency not recognized by Uncle Sam and Euro zone.

If libra will be readily convertable with dollar and euro, it will be taken up easily. If not, it will turn out as currency for black market deals and failed states.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Users browsing this topic
Guest
10 Pages«<56789>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Home | . .. Investor | .. . Groups | .. . SME | . . . Market | .. . Club SK | . ..... About Wazua | . .. Search | . ..Sitemap | . ..Support | . ..Disclaimer | . ..Privacy Policy | . ..Terms of Use | . .. Contact Us
Copyright © 2019 Wazua.co.ke. All Rights Reserved.